By the end of this course you will be able to:
• Understand what are the causes of an allergic reaction.
• Identify the 8 main food allergens.
• Identify cross-contact risks and understand methods for preventing cross-contact in the workplace through cleaning and sanitizing, good personal hygiene, and controlling the flow of food.
• Understand how to listen and communicate with customers who have food allergies, and how to communicate within the operation from the customer, through front of house to the kitchen, including co-workers, chefs and managers.
• Be able to recognize the most common symptoms of an allergic reaction, and how to deal with an attack.
The course is split into 6 chapters and explains in detail everything you need to make sure you and your customers are safe.
Chapter 1- Introduction
Chapter 2- Introduction to Allergens
• What is a Food Allergy and how does it affect someone?
• What is Coeliac Disease and what is Gluten?
• Symptoms of an Allergic Reaction
• Anaphylactic Shock
• Recognizing an Attack
• Emergency Procedures
Chapter 3 – The 8 Allergens
• Allergenic Foods include:
• Hidden Allergens
• Avoiding Allergic Reactions
Chapter 4 – Recipe creation to storage
• Communication Methods
• Recipe Creation
• Creating a System
• Adapting a Recipe for an Allergy Sufferer
• Dry Storage
• Chilled & Frozen Storage
Chapter 5 – Preparation through to service
• Food Preparation – Cook – Assembly of Dish
• Front of House Service
• Self Service
• Menu Information
• Front of House Staff
Chapter 6 – Cleaning
• Required Procedures
• Front of House
The format was clear and easy to follow, and the content was exactly what workers in the trenches – both front and back of the house – need to know to ace this particular, important and often overlooked part of their jobs.
Having the option to learn the material by either watching the videos or reading the text makes it possible for all employees to benefit from the course. In either case, the program is as entertaining as it is informative, making it easy to understand and absorb the material.
The sections on hidden allergens and cross contamination are especially welcome, being points that may be easily overlooked by cooks and waiters alike.
Overall, the production is of a very high quality, and the content and delivery spot on. The downloadable pdf of allergens is a useful bonus."
Recipes & Rotations – Real Food for Mom and Dad